Here are ten small ways in which you can change your lifestyle to live a better and healthier life tomorrow. It is usually the small things that count and I bet you don’t even think about doing some of these things, but you should aim to make them become automatic.
1. When you wake up in the morning, open your curtains and expose yourself to as much light as you can. This will reset your body clock and make you feel more alive, as the level of the sleep hormone melatonin in your body will be decreased.
2. Don’t work out hard in the mornings. The reason for this is that you have higher levels of cortisol in your body at this time and this makes you more prone to infections and stress induced heart attacks. The immune system is at its weakest early in the morning.
3. Do the most difficult tasks early in the day, as the first two hours of work each day are the ones where you will be the most productive.
4. Take a walk each day. Studies have shown that people who walked each day got 25% fewer colds.
5. Exercise your eye muscles by looking away from your computer every twenty minutes. Focus on something far away from you for about thirty seconds.
6. While working switch the lights on. People who work in bright environments are more productive and not so easily distracted. Try moving your desk closer to a window.
7. Go to the gym in the evenings if you can, as it has been proven that exercising after work will make you more fit.
8. Chew sugar free gum, as this stimulates the flow of saliva, which in turn protects your tooth enamel. Chewing gum also help to suppress the appetite.
9. Switch off your TV well before bed time. TV close to bed time causes over stimulation and this leads to disrupted sleep patterns. Try not to watch TV in bed if possible.
10. Before bed try and have a warm and relaxing bath. In order to sleep well, your body temperature needs to drop, and stepping out of the bath will cool your body and signal that your body needs to wind down.
The best way to break bad habits is to take small steps for the better each day. Eventually you won’t even remember what your old bad habits were.